Thursday, October 7, 2010

So there is something wrong with me!

This morning I had my first appointment with a cardiologist. I was nervous and didn't want to go but knew I needed to.

On the way to the doctor's office I was having what I consider mild heart palpitations. I checked in and waited to see the nurse. When I saw her I told her I was having palpitations right then so she hooked me up to the machine immediately. She unhooked me and the doctor came in and he asked if I drove myself to which I answered no, my husband drove me. He said to have him come in. I said no it's okay he is out in the waiting room with our daughter. Then he says oh she can come in too and I still say no it's okay I don't need them in here. He says well you aren't staying here I am sending you to the ER. Boy, Am I thick!

While the doctor was explaining what was going on with me, I was having a heart arrhythmia, I was a bit emotional. I tried not to cry but I knew a few tears escaped despite me trying to hold it back. So off we went - Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200, Go Directly to the ER.

When we got to the hospital the doctor was actually waiting for us as the nurse pushed my wheelchair down the hall. I got changed into a hospital gown and then a team of nurses got busy hooking this and that up to me. My heart rate had reached 237 at the height of things, it had been 193 at the cardiologist. The doctor explained the medicine he was giving me would make me feel very weird and uncomfortable but only for a few seconds. They gave me the Adenosine and within a moment I felt a funky warm sensation across my body, primarily my chest. The one nurse was holding my hand and someone was saying just another second. Just like that my heart rate slowed down and in minutes I felt "normal".

Hubby and the Bub stayed in the room with me for a while. I had the Bub on my lap in the hospital bed while she watched Dora with me for a few minutes. Then they left cause I was going to be in there a couple of hours being observed.

I watched bad court TV, gave urine for a pregnancy test, had a chest X-Ray, had an adorable doctor come into my room by mistake and chatted with my nurse about our dogs (her labs and my yorkie and chi.).

Next thing I know the doctor tending to me comes into the room and says I'm good to go home once they get my meds. The nurse comes in again and tells me to avoid stress (ha, how is that going to happen I have a 19 month old, 2 little dogs, a husband and work with my parents!) and gives me Potassium since the bloodwork shows it's low.

A yellow paper is handed to me and I finally have an answer. I know what is wrong with me. Tachycardia, Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT) to be exact. I was so relieved that I had an answer I actually said to the nurse, "So this it what's wrong with me?". lol.

While I was waiting for Hubby to get to the hospital I spoke to both the nurse and doctor again. I also got my first dose of medication, Diltiazem ER along with a one month prescription.

So I guess now I wait, go for my follow up visit in two weeks and see what happens. I am hopeful that this will be it and I can move on with a normal life. I have felt so off for the last year and a half I don't even know how I am supposed to feel. Last night I was over analyzing everything I felt. But I was able to get some sleep.

Adding to our family is going to have to wait a bit. We need to see if this can be controlled and if that is something we can safely do down the road. For now I just want to enjoy my family and day to day life while not feeling sick.


  1. that's some scary stuff- but it's good to hear they could tell you what was wrong. i hope you get better soon!

    following you back.

  2. Nina is a cutey! Please come follow my blog as I am following yours

  3. I'm glad you're doing better and they found whatever was wrong!!!

  4. Glad they were able to determine so easily the type of arrythmia...I have two SVT and an long as they don't hit at the same time - I'm good...stopping by to return the follow from last week (little late)...hopefully you won't end up on exercise restrictions like me! Makes being a mommy of toddlers hard! Beth @ Two Monkeys & a Washtub