Tuesday, November 30, 2010

These Moments

There are times I look at the clock and wish it was time for the Bub to go to bed. There are times I wish I could just have 5 minutes of peace and quiet. Then there are the moments like tonight that melt my heart and will be etched in my mind for years.

As usual Route 287 was ridiculously crowded with traffic so I went the "long" way. The "long" way is the norm these days. The great way about the "long" way is that it is thru a residential area and they apparently are in the spirit of Christmas (as of Monday) and tons of folks already have their lights up and on. So last night as we drove home I was telling Nina to look at the lights and when we saw the biggest display I gave her a high five.

Tonight as we drove home I was telling her to look on my side or her side and she saw a snowman lit up. She says to me, Sandman (that's what it sounds like when she says snowman) wowwwwww. Mom. Five. (that's what she says for high five).

I'd be lying if I told you I didn't get a little choked up a moment later. I'd be lying if I said it didn't mean anything. Because it meant the world to me. This is what life is about. These moments. She won't remember this day but I will. Because she was so excited and wanted to share it with me.

One of my hopes when we decided to have a child was to share something special and create a family tradition. If driving around looking at Christmas lights is one of those traditions I would love it. I can't wait to take her out with Bart and sit in the back with her and share a Christmas cookie and warm hot chocolate while Daddy drives and look at lights.

My slightly drunk and very tired explanation of this doesn't do it justice. But I wanted to take a moment to type it out.

Nina's Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment